We know from experience how hard it is to eat healthy (or just homemade!) while traveling. Our biggest expense is often times just eating out for the duration of our trips, not the hotels or gas. That’s why we’ve put together some of our FAVORITE simple, easy, inexpensive, and delicious recipes.
That’s one of the great things about staying in a retreat home – you have a kitchen!
Recipe #1 – Green Fluff
All that you need is:
- 1 can – crushed pineapple
- 2 boxes – pistachio pudding
- 16 oz – whipped cream
- 1 bag – small marshmallows
- Combine pudding boxes and pineapple until thoroughly moistened
- Add in whipped cream and marshmallows. Combine and let set up in fridge for 1 hour or more.
Visit: This site for all the details!
Recipe #2 – Beef Pot Roast
This is one of our FAVORITES! It’s so easy, simple, and tastes wonderful. Combine it with some rolls or biscuits and you’re good to go! And now that the weather has turned
All you need is:
- 1 – chuck pot roast
- 3 – carrots
- 2 – onions
- 3 – medium potatoes
- 1/2 cup – beef broth
- 1/4 tsp – pepper
- 1 tsp – salt
- (I sometimes add a can of cream of mushroom soup, but that’s up to you!)
- combine ingredients in slow cooker and set on low for 8 hours
Visit: This site for more details!
Recipe #3 – Chicken Rice Bowl
All you need:
- Chicken tenders (or chicken breasts)
- 1 can – black beans
- 1 can – corn
- 1 can – tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 – green pepper
- 1 – yellow pepper
- 1 pkg – taco seasoning
- 1 bag – brown rice (4 servings)
- 2 Tbsp – olive oil
- Begin cooking rice to package directions
- Cube chicken, put in skillet with olive oil and 3 Tbsp taco seasoning. Cook 3-4 minutes per side. Remove and put on paper plate.
- Cube green and yellow pepper and add to skillet. Let cook in juices till tender.
- Add canned products to skillet. Poor in rice (once rice is cooked). Let simmer 5 minutes
And there you have it! We serve this dish with tortillas and cheese, but you can just eat it plain if you’d like. Either way is de-lish!
For more detailed instructions go HERE.
And there you have it – 3 simple, easy, and inexpensive dishes that will have you enjoying your vacations even more. After all, nothing beats a home cooked meal!